The date is getting closer.
As July comes to a close, parents are preparing their children for their return to school, teachers are getting their classrooms in order for the new school year and administration is readying for another busy year.
There will be no more lounging by the pool for the students or late night movies and sleepovers, but instead homework and preparation for a future outside of high school.
Of course, there was one group of students that never really got to have a complete summer. Not only did they choose not to complain, most of them loved every second of it.
From Aug. 1-20, the Altus Bulldog football team will enjoy only two days of non-football related activities. Hard work and dedication is how a state championship caliber team is built and it is the only way to survive the long and grueling season to make it to that prestigious game and hold the state championship trophy high with pride.
This year’s Bulldog team knows all about that and so starting Aug. 1, the Altus Bulldog football team will begin preseason preparations so that there is no question about readiness once the players travel to Clinton on Aug. 26.
Starting Aug. 1, the Bulldogs will meet at 5 p.m. for shuttle and 40-yard-dash testing. The shuttle drill measures short area quickness, lateral movement, flexibility and the speed at which a player can change directions.
The rest of the schedule is:
- Aug. 2 at 5 p.m. the players will begin their bench press and power clean testing at their training facility.
- Aug. 3 at 5 p.m. the players will begin squat and dead lift testing at their training facility.
- Aug. 4 at 5 p.m. the coaches will host a player meeting followed by a parent meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Aug. 5 at 4 p.m. the senior players will leave for their senior retreat.
- Aug. 6 at 8 a.m. players meet for physicals and drug testing at the Altus High School Cafeteria.
- Aug. 7 — no activity.
- Aug. 8-12 players will run two-a-days with the first practice from 6-7:15 a.m. and the second practice from 3-6 p.m.
- Aug. 13 there will be a blue and white scrimmage from 6-7:30 p.m., followed by team pictures from 8-9 p.m.
- Aug. 14 — no activity.
- Aug. 15-18 players will run two-a-days with the first practice at 6 a.m. Aug. 19 the Bulldogs will travel to Weatherford at 6 p.m. for a scrimmage.
- Aug. 20, the Bulldogs are scheduled to participate in the Meet the Bulldogs event at 7 p.m.
This Bulldog team has been practicing hard all summer and the players believe they are more than ready to lay it all on the line underneath the Friday night lights.
Soon that will be a reality.
Reach Ryan Lewis at 580-482-1221, ext. 2076.