Last updated: October 24. 2013 12:49PM - 1972 Views

Timothy F. Carey
Timothy F. Carey
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Timothy F. Carey, 26, an active duty man stationed at Altus Air Force Base, is currently in the Jackson County Jail awaiting his initial court appearance after an incident that happened Tuesday.

According to Altus Police Chief Tim Murphy, State and Federal law enforcement agencies converged in Altus after Carey was said to have made statements to individuals that he had explosive devices in his home.

“The citizens that reported to OSI obviously took the threat very serious, too,” Murphy said. “I think Altus could have very well avoided a very tragic situation here.”

Altus Air Force Base released a statement Wednesday, thanking the individuals came forward saying, “The incident is currently under investigation. The Air Force Office of Special Investigations and state and federal law enforcement agencies have worked diligently to ensure the safety of local citizens and military members.”

Murphy said that local police, working with the United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol bomb squad and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, executed search warrants at two different locations: Carey’s home in Camelot Trailer Park, and a storage unit on Falcon Road.

The first location was 2308 N. Park Ln. lot 130, where authorities discovered materials for making explosive devices. Materials for making explosives devises were also found in the storage unit.

The searches were prompted after citizens informed authorities that Carey had made comments that he had explosive devices and “could use those devices at Wal-Mart to “tie up’ law enforcement and other city resources.” He was also said to have stated that he could use other explosive devices elsewhere.
“Although no actual bombs were found during the execution of the search warrants,” Murphy said, “the materials were definitely there for making explosive devises. We are extremely grateful to the individuals who came forward and reported this to authorities”
Murphy said that he would like to thank the investigators and other law enforcement agencies who worked together into the early morning hours today to eliminate this threat.
The District Attorney’s office said this morning that there is still a lot of paperwork to do before Carey’s initial court appearance. They didn’t know at this point if it would Friday or next week.

Murphy said that he thought this stopped what he feels is a very serious threat.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Altus Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com