Leaking kerosene causes fire


by Mary O. Esparza, - mesparza@civitasmedia.com



The space heater that initiated the fire in Friendship on Monday afternoon.


Both the Friendship Volunteer Fire Department and Altus Fire Fighters responded to a Monday, Dec. 28 afternoon fire on County Road 210-157.

Upon arrival the fire was found in the living room area. Homeowner Helen Oglesby exited her home with no injuries. An area mail carrier saw the smoke and reported the fire. She then stopped to help Oglesby until emergency response teams arrived.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire which was said to have been caused by a very old, leaking kerosene space heater in the middle of the living room. Authorities said that it was not possible to read the heater model type or other identification on it. The estimated cost of damages was $15,000.

Oglesby is staying with her family until she is able to return home.

The space heater that initiated the fire in Friendship on Monday afternoon.
http://altustimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/web1_HeaterFire.jpgThe space heater that initiated the fire in Friendship on Monday afternoon.

by Mary O. Esparza,

mesparza@civitasmedia.com

Reach Mary O. Esparza at 580-482-1221 ext. 2077

Reach Mary O. Esparza at 580-482-1221 ext. 2077

comments powered by Disqus